Oakwood Community School
Allied to the importance of providing the right learning environment is our approach to delivering education in its broadest sense.
We recognise that each child’s experience of learning will be different. However, our learning provision is founded on key fundamentals that we believe provide the best opportunity for educational, emotional and behavioural development. These include the following:
- A whole school nurture approach securing a safe place for children to learn.
- Literacy and its development should underpin the curriculum at all times.
- Embracing the use of therapeutic and other interventions to enable pupils to overcome barriers to learning.
- Delivering engaging ways of learning and working, including specialising in outdoor and contextual learning.
- Delivering education through an engaging, diverse, and relevant curriculum.
- Promoting an understanding of equality and diversity through learning.
- Promoting positive and aspirational thinking allied to a celebration of achievement.
The School Day
The learning day is divided into six teaching periods, including a Nurture Breakfast, with individual classes having staggered break times throughout the morning. The pupils’ working week is condensed to allow pupils to leave at 12.45pm on Fridays. Friday afternoon is dedicated to staff professional development.