Oakwood Community School
Values and Aims
At Oakwood School we believe that having a strong set of core values is important as it provides both staff and children with a firm grounding for their teaching and personal development.
We place honesty, tolerance and respect at the foundation of everything we do and we ask everyone at the school to embrace these values, to promote self-discipline and increase self-esteem amongst our pupils.
We recognise each child as an individual and always acknowledge their separate personalities when creating suitable learning opportunities for them. In this way we can ensure that everyone is given the best possible chance to fully access educational possibilities; to learn and develop, not just in their own right, but also importantly as part of a school community. That community should be somewhere where each child can enjoy the feeling of belonging and is one that helps to nurture its future citizens and prepare them for a wider role in society.
Our aims are simple ones; to provide a school community that:
- Provides a safe, happy and caring environment for all.
- Promotes high standards of learning, achievement and behaviour for all.
- Encourages everyone to make a positive contribution.
- Establishes a broad, balanced and exciting curriculum that supports the development of social, emotional and behavioural skills and a love of learning.
- Values, supports and celebrates the many ways that children can learn and achieve their full potential.
- Respects the rights and views of others and acknowledges our own responsibilities as citizens.
- Considers the effects of our actions on the environment and promotes more environmentally friendly practices.
‘Pupils behave well in lessons because of the effective support that they receive from both teachers and other adults in the room to engage in their learning.’